Good morning, friends! So happy you’re back! I’m super excited for today’s post because I love projects & had so much fun creating this one 🙂
Have you ever seen those pretty bulletin boards that just look so planned (in a not-planned kinda way) and make a desk area or wall so much prettier than without it? I have had a desire to pin some stuff up in front of my desk, but I don’t like the typical brown bulletin boards very much. I also struggle with wanting it to look perfect and I rarely achieve that when I just pin something new up every few days!
So when I was setting up my apartment this fall, I knew I wanted to figure out how to pin up things I love while keeping the area simple and pretty. I think I achieved my goal!! I’ll show you guys how I made my board and how I decorated it! Xo
– 1 yard of fabric (I used linen)
– cork board (mine is 24×36)
– staple gun
O N E
Iron your fabric, then lay it out facing down. Center your cork board, also facing down, over the fabric.
T W O
Starting in the middle of one of long sides of the board, fold your fabric over the edge. Pulling it as tightly as you can, put in a few staples. Move to the other long side and repeat. Always pull the fabric really tightly!
T H R E E
Repeat step two on the shorter sides on the board.
F O U R
Now, starting from the middle, put more staples in along all four sides. I placed them fairly close together to be safe!
F I V E
Fold the corners under and staple. It doesn’t have to be anything super pretty, haha!
If you would like, you can also cut off some of the extra fabric now so that it is not too thick in the back.
That’s pretty much it! Now you can move onto the really fun part 🙂
Styling your Inspiration Board
O N E – Gather Inspiration and Materials
You can now do just about anything that you want! I knew I wanted my board to be planned and cohesive. I also knew that I just wanted to fill it with things I love and that simply make me smile so that I can look up and see sweet things!
A few different ideas of how you could fill your board…
– anything & everything that makes you love
– things specific to your passions/hobbies
– mementos from trips and other great moments
– reminders/little notes (I like the idea of pinning up a calendar print out)
– anything else you like the idea of!
I chose things from movies and shows, my favorite cities, pictures that I love, and a few other random items!
– look through your pinterest boards for inspiration of things you love (this helped me decide what I wanted to pin up!)
– flip through some of your favorite magazines!
– try to find a few things that will stick out from the board so that it’s not totally flat! I made a bow from some ribbon and thought about using some binder clips to give it a little dimension
– mix it up with words, images, photos, and anything else
T W O – Layouts
Now that you have everything ready, start laying it all out on the board! I started with some of the more prominent and larger pieces. I also recommend dispersing similar/strong colors!
You can move things around as much as you want until you’re happy with the setup!
T H R E E – Pin!
Yay! Now that you love how the board is laid out, you can pin everything on! I used little gold pins to keep it cohesive. Feel free to use a variety of pins/clips to make it interesting!
You’re done! Now you can hang it wherever you would like 🙂 These are perfect for in front of desks, in the kitchen, in an entry area, or whatever you’re thinkin!!